The Department of Zoology has been established recently in 2018 with start of B.S. Zoology Degree Program and 76 students got admitted in the first semester comprising of two batches. Very recently, MSc Zoology Degree Program has also been started in December, 2018. This is one of the five departments in the Faculty of Basic Sciences of USTB. Zoology as a subject is multidisciplinary in nature, involving study of organisms and their genetic, morphological and physiological attributes, their surrounding environment, and their role in conservation of environment. Zoology is a combination of various disciplines such as Genetics, Physiology, Ecology, Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Parasitology, Entomology, Evolution, Taxonomy, Freshwater Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife etc. This subject has significant role in human resource development, food security, environmental conservation, and sustainable development and ultimately in alleviation of poverty. To meet the quality standards of HEC, a post graduate lab is also being developed to start research based degree programs i.e. M.Phil and PhD in Zoology. Under the leadership of worthy Vice Chancellor, the Department has regular research ties with institutions like, PARC / NARC, Islamabad National Institute of Health, Islamabad and other reputed organizations of the country.
The department of Zoology promotes learning and practical implementation at all level of biological organizations and as modular, cellular, organismal, population, community and ecosystem. Reflecting the importance of strong disciplinary and inter disciplinary approaches in research teaching also recognizing the essential role of science and biology in the life general popular today and tomorrow. Also emphasizing biological literacy in teaching and out needs Programs.
The mission of Department of Zoology is to promote excellence in undergraduate and graduate education and research. To promote the discovery and broad communication of knowledge about biology of animals, including their importance for human beings and about their environments.
OBJECTIVES AND OUTCOMES
- To impart knowledge about the major disciplines of Zoological Science. It will help the students to understand the principles of organizations and inter-relationships in the biological systems with particular reference to animal diversity.
- To teach different methods of exploration, investigation, organization of data and its utilization in practical life.
- To train / educate students for advanced studies and specialization on recently emerging technological and multidisciplinary fields such as Genetic Engineering, Biodiversity, Environmental Science, Wildlife and conservation, Fisheries and aquaculture, Pests and pest management, Biotechnology, etc. After completing the degree, students will be able to apply their knowledge to their respective fields effectively.
- To equip students with knowledge and skills for better planning and management of animal resources, environment, health, medicine, agriculture and population in the country.
- To develop the scientific culture and demonstrate professional skills in teaching / research/ managerial positions in wide range of professions in national and international organizations.